Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Due to a recent lack of "Friends" references:

Tonight, I was reminded of an episode of Friends. The specific episode occurs sometime in season 5 or 6 or so, after Ross marries that Emily chick but had accidentally said Rachel's name at the alter.

Anywho, so Ross desperately wants to work things out with the new wifey, who's pretty upset about the whole wrong name ordeal. She tells him that she'll move to New York to be with him if he promises not to see Rachel ever again. No friendship, no hanging out, no Central Perk, nada.

I swear, there is a point to this.

So Ross, deciding that he doesn't want to already have been divorced twice (the closet lesbian was the first one), chooses love and promises not to see Rachel anymore. However, he then has to break the news to her. This isn't going to be pretty. Telling a good friend you can no longer see them is almost as difficult as breaking up with someone, I'm sure.

Ross's first attempt at telling Rachel the unfortunate promise he made is thwarted because at that moment, she opens a letter from her mother informing her that her family dog has just died. Rachel is very upset, and Ross, the super sensitive man that he is, could not possibly bear to deliver another piece of bad news to her.

Anyway, the episode continues and after another attempt gone awry (her nose starts bleeding right as he's about to tell her), he finally tells her and she's pretty mad about it. I could go on, but the part of the episode I was reminded of ended in my last paragraph.

Sometimes, life imitates art. Sometimes, life says, "Hey, you know what, art? That's nice and all, but I think I'll do things a little differently"

No comments: